Medicare Part D
You can reach the Medicare Medicaid Assistance Program's Helpline at 1-800-803-7174.
The Area Agency on Aging 1-B will be holding Medicare Part D Assistance Days throughout the Medicare Part D Annual Open Enrollment Period (typically mid-October through early December each year). Check back soon for a list of dates, times and locations.
Medicare Part D
Medicare Part D is a prescription drug coverage program that can reduce your out-of-pocket drug costs. If you receive Medicare, you are eligible to enroll in a Part D plan.
The plans are sold and managed by private companies and vary greatly in terms of monthly premiums, annual deductibles, drugs covered and prescription prices.
Help Choosing a Plan
With over 30 plans available to recipients in the state of Michigan-with premiums ranging from just under $18 per month to over $100 -finding the plan that’s right for you can be challenging. The Area Agency on Aging 1-B’s Medicare and Medicaid Assistance Program (MMAP) is staffed by trained counselors and volunteers, who can answer questions about the program and help you make your choice. The MMAP Program Helpline is available from 8 a.m. through 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and can be reached at 1-800-803-7174.
Open Enrollment Assistance Days
Medicare holds an open enrollment period is held each year where Medicare beneficiaries can change Medicare Part D plans. This open enrollment period typically begins in mid-October and ends in early December. Plans adjust their premium costs and what they cover often, so even if you have been enrolled in a Part D prescription plan previously, it’s a good idea to review your plan annually, during this open enrollment period. Even changes in the medications that you are taking can be a good reason to review and compare each year. To find a Medicare Part D Assistance Day Event near you, download our complete list of Medicare Part D Assistance Day Events.
During Open Enrollment you can do the following:
- Change from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage Plan
- Change from a Medicare Advantage Plan back to Original Medicare
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage Plan to another Medicare Advantage Plan
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn’t offer drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn’t offer drug coverage
- Join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan
- Switch from one Medicare Prescription Drug Plan to another Medicare Prescription Drug Plan
- Drop your Medicare prescription drug coverage completely
The Area Agency on Aging 1-B holds Part D Assistance Days throughout its six-county service area during this open enrollment period. Trained MMAP counselors and volunteers walk recipients through their choices, based on their specific prescription needs, and recommend the most economical plan for them. Details and information about Assistance Day events will be posted as open enrollment approaches. Assistance is also available through the MMAP helpline by dialing 800-803-7174.